The following is a bit of information that hopefully will be helpful to the citizens of Fort White and the surrounding area.
1. Fort White does not have a city or ad valorem tax, which essentially is a tax, based on the assessed value of Real Estate or personal property.
2. As of 1995, the minimum lot size that an individual can build a residential dwelling on is one-half acre (NO sewer system- septic tanks only).
3. An occupational license ($25.00) is required to operate a business in Fort White.
4. A building permit and compliance are required ($50.00).
5. Residential garbage and water is provided by the Town. Application and fees may be obtained at Town Hall.
6. Commercial garbage is subcontracted out to Waste Pro. The fees vary depending on the size of your container.
7. Limb removal is provided at $20 per pickup.
8. The South Columbia Fire Department services all of Fort White including approximately 75-80 square miles outside the town limits.
9. Fire station located at 495 SW Dorch Street.
10. Fort White has a 25-acre Sports Complex located on SR 47 next to the High School. This complex houses six baseball fields, two tennis courts, two basketball courts and a recently added Community Center. The Center is available for rent through our office.
11. Fort White Elementary School; Phone: (386) 497-2301, Fort White High School; Phone: (386) 497-5952.
12. There is a satellite Columbia County Health Clinic in Fort White. It is open on Thursday only. The Health Clinic is located on SW Dorch Street next to the fire station. Phone: (386) 497-4899.
13. A Columbia County Branch Library is located across the street from the High School. Phone: (386) 497-1108. Hours: Monday & Thursday: 12 to 7, Tuesday & Wednesday: 12 to 6, and Friday & Saturday: 9 to 3.
14. The Town's elected officials include a Mayor and four council persons. The regular Town Council meeting is held the second Monday of each month at 7:30 pm at the Town Hall.
15. An occupational License is required to operate a business in Fort White. The cost of the license is $25.00, renewable each October 1.
16. The following utilities are provided within the Town of Fort White:
Electric- Progress Energy 1-800-700-8744 Clay Electric Cooperative (386) 752-7447
Telephone- Windstream 1-800-347-1991 Cable TV- Watson Cable Company (386) 497-4898
17. Police service is provided by the Columbia County Sheriff's Department; Phone: (386) 752-3222. Substation phone: (386) 497-3797.
18. Columbia County Satellite Tax Agency is open from 8:30am to 5:00pm every Wednesday of the month at the Sheriff's Substation located on SW Bryant Street; Phone: (386) 758-1077.
19. The Property Appraiser's office is located next to the Fort White Health Department. Their office is open in January and February only for Homestead Exemption on Wednesdays from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m; Phone: (386) 497-1626.
20. Senior Citizens Center is located south of Town Hall on Highway 47. Phone: (386) 497-1504.